Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Wait, You Mean I Have To Tie My Shoes?

After my failed attempt at swimming this morning, I knew that at least I'd have to finish up my weight lifting for the week. I decided that I would wear my new running shoes to the gym. My old ones are looking a little tired after the triathlon and it also just seems like it's about time for a new pair. The only problem with the new shoes? I actually had to tie them! My old shoes have the Jack Rabbit version of Yankz, and I know that those kind of laces are more for triathlons than for regular running, but I love them. I am thinking that I might have to switch out my old laces onto the new shoes. Either way ... here they are ... old (left) and new (right).


I donned my new shoes and headed off to the gymnasium. I did a quick 7:30 minutes on the treadmill. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do 5 or 10 minutes, so I compromised and did something in between.

Then it was off to the boy-area for the weight lifting:

Dumbbell Bench Press: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 15 lbs (per arm)
Lat Pulldown: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 60 lbs
Leg Press: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 110 lbs
Calf Raises: 1 set of 12 reps @ 110 lbs / 1 set of 15 reps @ 110 lbs
Dumbbell Pullovers: 1 set of 15 reps @ 20 lbs / 1 set of 15 reps @ 25 lbs
Barbell Curls: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 25 lbs
Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 1 set of 15 reps @ 12.5 lbs (per arm) / 1 set of 10 reps @ 12.5 lbs (per arm)
Crunches: 1 set of 15 reps / 1 set of 20 reps

I tried to increase the weights a little bit today and see how that felt on my muscles. I was definitely tired a lot by the end of the second set and in a couple of cases, I couldn't quite finish the second set of 15, but I still think I did a good job. Next week's weight lifting is the same lifts, but with increased weights, so I sort-of jumped the gun on that, but at least I have a good idea of what I'm currently capable of lifting.

I also thought it would be a good idea to increase the weight on the leg presses, since they are the only leg lift that is currently in the plan. And, while I was there, I thought I'd just throw in some calf raises too. Walking home from the gym, I realized that maybe I should have only gone up 10 pounds instead of 20, because my legs (especially calves) were really tired. Should make the next couple of days really fun.

Warm-Up
Distance: .73
Time: 7:30
Pace: 10:00/mile
Calories: 98
Maximum HR: 173
Average HR: 154

Weight Lifting
Time: 27:36
Calories: 189
Maximum HR:142
Average HR: 121

No comments:

Post a Comment