Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

New Shoelaces

One of the errands that I didn't mention from yesterday was that Drew and I ran into Jack Rabbit just to take a quick look around and I picked up some new shoelaces! I had been complaining about wearing my regular shoelaces in my new sneakers but I'm not quite ready to give up on my old shoes (as they are good for days where I'm not running or the weather is bad), so I got myself a second pair of fancy bungee shoelaces! I wasted no time last night lacing them up for this morning. Here they are in all their glory:


I got to test them out for the first time at the gym this morning. I didn't have a ton of time at the gym today as I needed to be at work early, but Drew said that he would help me with my lifting today as there were a couple of new exercises included and one said that it would recommend having a spotter if available.

This was the workout:

Lat Pulldown (Underhand): 1 set of 12 reps at 70 lbs / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 80 lbs
Deadlifts: 1 set of 20 reps @ 45 lbs / 1 set of 25 reps @ 45 lbs / 1 set of 20 reps @ 55 lbs
Leg Curls (Right Leg): 1 set of 12 reps @ 30 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 35 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 35 lbs
Leg Curls (Left Leg): 1 set of 10 reps @ 30 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 35 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 35 lbs
Calf Raises: 1 set of 15 reps @ 125 lbs / 1 set of 20 reps @ 125 lbs / 1 set of 18 reps @ 135 lbs
Barbell Shoulder Press: 1 set of 12 reps @ 35 lbs / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 35 lbs

The lat pulldowns were fine, except that the bar that was there is the kind with the little metal bumps that makes your hand hurt from holding it. I'm wondering if perhaps I should get some of those weight lifting gloves? Except that I think that they're a little ridiculous and that I should just toughen up.

The deadlifts were another one that didn't go too well. I read the instructions in the book, watched Drew do them, had him tell me what to do, and I still am 99% certain that I wasn't doing them correctly. All it felt like I was doing was lifting a heavy bar up and down. And it really wasn't that hard. I quit doing them when I reached 20 or 25 reps because it clearly wasn't working that well since I was getting such a high rep number. Drew said that he was really surprised that I'd have to go to failure on a new exercise and I sort-of agree. I had no idea what weight to start with (the book does give guidelines, but it's not a guarantee) and that really meant that I really couldn't figure out what weight would give me failure after 10 reps.

The rest of the weight lifting was fine. I actually was pretty close to Drew on the calf raises, which I was excited about. He was lifting 150 lbs and I did 135. Secretly I really wanted to put some more on and see if I could do 150 too. Maybe next time I'll just see. The barbell shoulder presses were pretty hard. Drew had to help me with the last two reps on the third set. I do feel like my muscles are doing better and lifting more weight than they were 4 weeks ago, so I think the book is working!

After the weight lifting, which took a little longer than I was anticipating, I really didn't have too long to do cardio. I just did a quick mile on the elliptical before heading to the stretching area and then heading home for a shower and an earlier day at the office!

Weight Lifting
Time: 47:37
Calories: 284
Maximum HR: 149
Average HR: 116

Elliptical
Time: 11:15
Distance: 1.00 mile
Pace: 11:15/mile
Calories: 119
Maximum HR: 162
Average HR: 150

No comments:

Post a Comment