Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hideous Horrible Treadmill

I found myself working out at night again tonight.  I have to say, even though I really liked it yesterday, today wasn't the best.  I truly only have myself to blame.  I woke up this morning at 4:50, put on my clothes to do the Terrier brick, realized that I had a horrible stomach-ache and crawled back into bed, fully dressed in workout clothes.  I slept like that until 7:30. 

Truthfully, I wasn't really feeling that much better today after work, but since last week was such a low running week, I knew that I have to keep going with the plan and suck it up.  I was smart and packed clothes to take with me so that I could head to the gym right after work.  I only went to the gym because I knew it'd be raining.  I also knew that if I came home after work, changed clothes and tried to convince myself to go running in the rain, chances were slim that I'd actually go running. 

So, there I was at the gym at 7:30.  I told myself that I would not get off the treadmill before it hit 5.03 miles and I also would only give myself an hour to do get there (the treadmill time limit).  The 5.03 is important because that running ticker over there on the right is annoying me.  I'd like it to be at a rounder number than it was before! 

I have to say, I was reminded once again that I do not like the gymnasium.  I don't like going there, I don't like working out there.  If I hadn't found endurance sports, I'm pretty convinced that there is no way I would ever be working out because I think the gym is hideous.  And horrible.  And they have hideous horrible treadmills there. 

While running today, I was really trying to talk myself through it.  The thing is, I normally can convince myself to keep running outside, but there is something about the treadmill that is just mentally defeating for me.  I know that some people, like Brie, prefer running on treadmills.  Frankly, I think that's a bit loco, but I do sort-of wish that I could like it. 

All I did on my run today was either (a) force myself to run faster to get it over with or (b) wonder why I hate it so much.  I actually think that it's sort of like running laps to me.  I don't see a lot of forward progress while on the treadmill or running laps.  Running really far away from home and then realizing that there is only one way home seems to be better mentally for me. 

So, in truth, I only ran 4.03 miles today.  I forced myself to stay on for the full 5.03 miles, but the last mile was a combination of walking and really slow jogging.  I finished the 4.03 miles in 39:28 (9:47 pace).  I don't know why, but somehow at the gym it seems more important to worry about speed than it does outside.  Probably because outside it's easier to just go along with your body and not worry about the setting the speed like you do on the treadmill. 

Overall, I finished the 5.03 miles in 52:12, which was still pretty good overall and faster than a lot of my outdoor runs.  About the only positive thing I can say is that I did exactly what I set out to do today - complete a five mile run.  Now tomorrow will be all about resting up in preparation for this weekend's long run!

Running
Time: 52:12
Distance: 5.03 miles
Pace: 10:22/mile

1 comment:

  1. I'm considering doing the same half-marathon again in April that I did this year. When I told Curtis, he mentioned doing the marathon instead. The only thing keeping me from saying yes is the possibility of having to train for it through the winter on a treadmill.

    I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete