Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Streets Run


Yesterday, thanks to Lisa's post yesterday, I was able to find out about the Summer Streets "Fun Run" with NYRR. Looking at the website, it was a little unclear as to whether it was a 4.5 or 5.0 mile run (since both distances were listed), but I knew that I wanted to try to get about 9-10 miles today, so I figured I'd run to the Fun Run and then do the Fun Run.

I asked Drew if he'd want to do part of the Fun Run with me and he said that he didn't think his knee would be up to doing the whole thing, he'd meet me for part of it. We agreed to meet at 23rd Street and he'd run with me from there to the finish.


But, first, I should say that I started out really slowly. I was less concerned about time and more concerned about my heart rate staying low. I left the apartment around 5:40 and I pretty much had the Westside Path all to myself. I ran south, from our apartment to Canal Street. The blocks just kept ticking by.

I would sing a little bit to myself to make sure I was keeping everything conversational. Once I got to Canal Street, I could hardly believe I was there already. That was the weirdest part of my run. Normally, Canal Street is jammed with tourists and hordes of people. Not at 6:30 in the morning! Every shop has the metal gate rolled down. The only people out are police officers (which I actually found interesting as I wonder if they're there to deter illegal activities). It was so bizarre that I couldn't really place myself on the street as I used to seeing certain shops when I go down there.

I got to the Starting Line (which should be considered a very loose term) about 15 minutes early. I got my T-Shirt, which I decided to wear over the tri top that I was wearing, and I stretched and sat down for a few minutes. Just a couple of minutes before 7:00, everyone moved to the Starting Line. A woman with a (poorly functioning) megaphone said that we should watch out for cross traffic on major intersections and then blew a whistle and we were off.

I still just kept concentrating on keeping it slow and steady. I knew Drew would wait for me even if I was a minute or two late and finishing this run happy was the most important thing to me. While I was sitting down before the start of the Fun Run, I realized that I was starving. I figured I'd just try to make it with the water they were offering on the course, but I was kicking myself for not bringing any thing to eat with me.

Luckily, this whole Summer Streets thing came and saved me. Well, so did Drew. Right after we met, he noticed that there was a Clif booth giving away Clif bars. He asked if we should go look and I decided that yes, we should! I ate a mini Clif bar right away while we were running and kept the other one in my pocket in case of emergencies. I have to say, that Clif bar tasted amazing. Yum!

Running up Park Avenue and around the Met Life Building was really weird, but also fun. They had Dumpster Pools set-up near Pershing Square that I'd really like to test out next weekend if at all possible! Drew and I ran all the way up to the "Finish Line" (which was really a piece of cardboard propped on an orange cone declaring it as such). I grabbed another cup of water and got really mad at the lady at the beginning of the Fun Run who had promised "bagels and fruit". Much to my disappointment, pretzels and bananas were what was on offer. I can't eat bananas and I didn't feel like pretzels.

Since we were now at 72nd and Park, Drew asked what we should do about getting home. I said that we should walk into Central Park and then we could start running again. I was getting a bit tired by this point, but my legs still felt pretty good. Once we got into the Park, we ran home the shortest way possible and then stopped at Starbucks on the way home for a refreshing coffee treat!

I'm happy to have done 9.95 miles today, pain free, and still happy at the end. I have definitely moved one step closer to being in the "yes" column. I really just want to see how my legs feel in the morning, but I think it's almost a guarantee that I'll be signing up for the Philadelphia Marathon based on today's run!

Run #1 (Home to Fun Run Start)
Time: 50:14
Distance: 4.60 miles
Pace: 10:55/mile
Calories: 456
Maximum HR: 181 (85%)
Average HR: 167 (79%)

Run #2 (Fun Run)
Time: 48:23
Distance: 4.45 miles
Pace: 10:52/mile
Calories: 482
Maximum HR: 189 (89%)
Average HR: 177 (83%)

Run #3 (Run Home)
Time: 9:39
Distance: 0.90 miles
Pace: 10:42/mile
Calories: 93
Maximum HR: 186 (88%)
Average HR: 176 (83%)

No comments:

Post a Comment