Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shouldn't The Short Ones Be Easy?

This morning I set my alarm in order to wake up in time for the Terrier run. When my alarm went off, I looked at the workout online, saw that it was speed work, rolled over and went back to sleep.

I ended up sleeping until 8 and left the house with Drew at 9 (he was going to work). I probably shouldn't have waited so long today because it was really hot and gross out there. It's not the first time I've done this and it certainly won't be the last.

I walked up to the Park and then decided I would run on the bridle path because it's shadier than the regular road. I didn't love this run. I am trying to save my legs for my long run tomorrow, so I decided I would just run for 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back. However many miles that ended up being was fine with me.

The first 20 minutes were okay. The second 20, not so much. It was in those minutes that I was cursing myself for not having a lot to drink yesterday (the perils of vacations). I just kept telling myself that the faster I ran, the sooner I could get home and have my smoothie from the freezer (Drew makes them for us every morning, but I put mine in the freezer before leaving for the run). I admit my logic was flawed, since I was running for a set number of minutes, not miles, but it helped me pick up my pace.

I definitely needed a reason to do that today. I thought the short runs were supposed to be easy, but so far I think I like the longer ones more. I was counting down every minute of today's run. I probably should have done the speed work as it would have mixed things up a bit. I couldn't do it when I went later because there were cars in the Park then.

I never really know how far I've gone on the bridle path. Today's miles are my best estimation. I don't generally want a Garmin, but when I run on the Bridle Path, I do. Of course, maybe I don't since it might be sad to know that all my miles have been way off for a long time.

I'm going to look at nutrition belts this afternoon. Then the big test will be on tomorrow's long run!

Running
Time: 40:00
Distance: 3.75 miles
Pace: 10:39/mile
Calories: 361
Maximum HR: 182 (86%)
Average HR: 167 (79%)

1 comment:

  1. I feel the exact same way about short runs. I used to hate running because I never ran more than 3 or 4 miles and they always felt so hard. Then, when I started training for the half marathon last year I found that I actually really enjoy long runs. My favorite is the time between 40 and 80 minutes (roughly miles 4-8). It seems to get hard again after that...

    ReplyDelete