Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back To The Plan

Since it was raining this morning (and all day!), I decided to skip the Terrier run this morning in favor of going to the gym later on. Which meant that I thought that I should try to get back on the plan. Today's plan was: 3 miles / 2 x [2:00, 3:00, 4:00] AI / 2 miles. I haven't done any real aerobic intervals in quite a while, so I really wasn't looking forward to those at all.

I did the first three miles pretty slowly. I frankly am starting to feel like I'm moving backwards on my running times. I think I used to average more around 10:00/mile and now I'm getting slower? Is that even possible? I've mostly decided that I don't really care as long as I can finish this half-marathon. At this point, endurance seems more important that speed. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach on that, but I'm okay with it.

I did the first set of intervals at 6.2. I pretty much hated the 4:00 interval. I know that you're technically supposed to return to a slow jog in between the intervals, but I just walked instead. At this point, what is the difference between my slow jog and walking? I did the second set of intervals at 6.3 and again hated the 4:00 interval. That is a really long time!

I was supposed to finish up with 2 more miles, but I could only convince myself to do one more. And then as I was realizing that made my total for the day 6.75 miles, I talked myself into making it an even 7.00 for the day. I probably could have talked myself into doing one more, but sometimes you just have to call it quits. I am pretty proud that I did most of the plan. That's a change from the past week or so!

Running #1
Time: 32:21
Distance: 3.00 miles
Pace: 10:46/mile
Calories: 388
Maximum HR: 177
Average HR: 169

Aerobic Intervals
Time: 30:09
Distance: 2.75 miles
Pace: 10:57/mile
Calories: 360
Maximum HR: 183
Average HR: 168

Running #2
Time: 2:35
Distance: 1.25
Pace: 10:03/mile
Calories: 143
Maximum HR: 177
Average HR: 168

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar realization recently- I just felt like I haven't been getting any faster! So I started pushing the pace on the treadmill a bit and it's working. I definitely have off days though, when I'm just not feeling it to run any faster. I think a lot has to do with my warm-up and what I've done recently. Don't forget you just ran 10 miles over the weekend and then did another run the day afterward! My one criticism of the Runner's World half-marathon training plan is that it's too many high-volume runs. The interval runs on the weeknights can get quite lengthy! Personally, I feel that a slightly lower mileage would be just as preparative. But who am I?

    ReplyDelete