Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

An Award & A Run

So, I got my very first Blog Award from Kristin at Triathlon Training Blog! Thanks, Kristin!

According to the rules, I'm supposed to do the following:
* List 10 things that make you happy.
* Try to do at least one of them today.
* Pass on the award to 10 bloggers who brighten your day.


Ten Things That Make Me Happy Are:
1. Drew, my friends & family
2. Sarah the Seal
3. Lounging about in bed
4. Chili the Cat
5. Snail mail - the good kind, not the junk mail kind
6. Drinking with a straw
7. Reading books
8. Going home from the gym/a good workout
9. Summer
10. Cooking

People I'm nominating for this award (like Kristin, I'm cheating and nominating fewer than 10):
1. Kristen at Change of Pace
2. Susan at The Great Balancing Act
3. Kathy at Athlete in Training
4. Steve at Steve in a Speedo
5. Leah at Leftovers for Lunch

*****

And now, onto our regularly scheduled workout. Oh, wait, I didn't get that right either. Today really should have been 5-6 miles, including 4 x 1:30 AI + 6 GP, but I didn't really look at the plan before I left the house and I had in my mind that I'd do 5 miles and some pick-ups, so I guess I wasn't too far off. I packed some lemon-lime gatorade in my gym bag and off I went to the gymnasium.

When I got there, I did my normal 5 minutes of walking warm-up and then started running. I definitely was having a rough go of it today. We had a half snow-day yesterday (left work at 1:00) and after leaving work, we went home and had lots of chips and salsa and Drew's mom's Valentine's Day cookies as an afternoon snack. I think it turns out that those are bad things to eat in large quantities before running the next morning. My tummy was really not happy about whatever was in there rumbling about and I definitely had to pause the running to get off and go to the restroom.

After 4 miles of stomach-inducing misery, I decided that was probably mostly enough for today and that I'd just do 6 pick-ups and be done with the whole thing. So, I did 6 pick-ups at 30 seconds each, all at 9.5 speed, which was another 1.1 miles, so in total I managed to do just over 5 miles today. Not too shabby and still mostly according to my grand plan for the week.

So far, since Monday, I've run 18.1 miles, so in order to get to my goal of 24 for the week, I need to run 5.9 tomorrow morning. That seems pretty reasonable to me. Plus, that means that I can then go to Vegas tomorrow night and not have to worry about working out. I think that taking the weekend off might be good for my legs and my mental training as well. I'm hoping that I'll come back from vacation with a new spring in my step!

After I was done with all of the running, I went to stretch and do some foam rolling. My shin was bothering me a bit while running and I thought the foam roller might help that. Except that I gave it two passes the "normal" way (using body weight) and actually let out a little yelp in pain, so I decided that I'd do it my own way where I sat down on the ground and just rolled the roller over my legs using my arms as weight. Not quite the same, but not as painful either. Plus, I still think it helped accomplish some of the same goal.

Running
Time: 40:44
Distance: 4.00 miles
Pace: 10:26/mile
Calories: 459
Maximum HR: 174
Average HR: 161

Pick-Ups
Time: 10:35
Distance: 1.10 miles
Pace: 9:37/mile
Calories: 115
Maximum HR: 177
Average HR: 161

No comments:

Post a Comment