Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Heavy Rain / Wind

I had this really great plan for this morning.  But I woke up to this weather forecast on my telephone: 


Right.  That looks bad.  It wasn't even so much the rain, it was the 30+ MPH winds that had me worried. But, I couldn't afford to skip another day of running this week, so I got up and dressed and went back to the gym.  Which I had pretty much vowed never to do again.  But, I sucked it up and got on a treadmill and started running.

I have a speed issue on the treadmill.  Meaning that I think I need to run really fast on them.  But, the truth is, I don't. I just need to run.  So, I set the treadmill at 5.5 (which is a 10:54 mile) and started running.  And running and running and running some more.  It was totally mindless.  The TV on the treadmill next to me was stuck in the on position and it was also stuck on ESPN, so I watched more of the Ryder Cup's rain delay from this morning than I ever would have otherwise and I obsessively watched the ESPN ticker to see if any new sports information would show up. 

Even though this wasn't my plan for today, I'm glad that I just got up and did some running.  I know I'll end up coming up short this week in the running department, so it was good to get any miles under my belt.  However, I don't understand how the treadmill told me that I was running a 10:54 minute mile and when I add up the times (the treadmill times out after an hour), I end up with an 11:01/mile pace.  Not that it's a big difference in the long run, but it's still perplexing. 


My current plan for the weekend is to go running again tomorrow morning before work, do the duathlon on Sunday (4 miles running) and see where I end up.  If I have to work on Sunday after the race , that'll be all I can do.  If not, I might consider adding some more onto that duathlon, but it's sort of a wait and see thing at this point. 

Running
Time: 1:10:36
Distance: 6.40 miles
Pace: 11:01/mile
Calories: 722 (according to treadmill)

Because of the rain, went with a skirt today.  Day 12 outfit: Gray skirt and green turtleneck, pearl earrings and black suede shoes.  The earrings are actually the bridesmaid gift from my friend Ann's wedding and the shoes were not worn outside in that monsoon that we're having today!  They were carried in my bag to work for safekeeping!  (But, obviously, I couldn't be bothered to put them on for the photo...sorry!)




2 comments:

  1. That rain woke up me up early this morning. It sounded like a power washer up against my windows. It looked like a hurricane outside!

    Way to get to the treadmill and duke it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gotten to the point where I can deal with the rain, but I agree the crazy winds are just too much!

    i like to do intervals on the treadmill it makes the time fly

    ReplyDelete