Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

So That's A 40-MPH Gust

Today I was planning on a 13 mile run.  I walked to the Westside Path and started running north.  My plan was to run to the base of the George Washington Bridge and back to where I started, which would be just about exactly 13 miles.  It was cooler than it has been, but extremely windy.

I have to say that it just seemed like everything was going against me today.  Including the wind.  It was so strong a couple of times that it physically moved me along.  I also almost lost my hat.  It blew off my head and I had to run after it and track it down.  I had to tighten it as much as it could go (which I was surprised was possible since I already had it at just about the tightest setting).  I also realized that maybe it's not the best idea for me personally to run 4 days in a row and expect good results on the longest run of the 4.

Also, I hated my Fuel Belt today.  I don't know what the issue was, but it was horrible.  The real issue was that it was hurting my stomach and making me feel crampy.  I tried to run holding it in my hand.  I seriously considered trying to stash it on the side of the path and then just not caring if I had to buy a new one.  Then I thought if I was going to do that, I might as well just throw it away.  Which I also seriously considered.  More than once.  I finally ended up with it right under the bottom of my sports bra, which was the only place where I could tolerate having it on.  I'm sure it made me look even more awesome than I already looked in my tri short / compression sleeve combo that I had going on! 


I really didn't eat or drink anything along the way.  I'm wondering if that's a direct result of the cooler weather and just not feeling as thirsty as usual?  I also decided, because of the misery of this run, that I would just cut it short and try not to care about it.  After some walking and a stern talking to myself (which I did out loud in case you're curious), I told myself that I had to run from where I was (at 125th Street) back home.  Without stopping, except for street lights once I left the Path.  And, somehow, that pep talk managed to get me home.

About the only good thing I can say about the run is that even though I hated it and even though I was slow (even slower than I usually am) the pace is still exactly what I'd need to maintain in order to have a 5-hour marathon.  Which might also sound slow to a lot of you speedsters out there, but that's really my goal and it's good to know that I can have a mini melt-down and still maintain the necessary pace.

Running
Time: 2:01:24
Distance: 10.60 miles
Pace: 11:27/mile

Can't believe how close to the end of the Wardrobe Challenge things are getting!

Friday night, Day 26: Blue sweater (worn earlier in the day), jeans, gold bangles and Dansko mary-jane clogs.  You'd think I have an affinity for mary janes or something! 



Saturday, Day 27: Jeans, long-sleeved purple shirt with black short-sleeved sweater.  Worn with diamond earrings and Dansko mary-jane clogs. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't enjoy running when it's really windy either. Oh, and the hat? Have totally been there trying to chase it down the street!

    ReplyDelete