Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

30 Days and 10 Items of Clothing

Unbelievably, today is the last day of the Wardrobe Challenge!  I can't believe how quickly 30 days went by. Especially since it's just over 30 days to the Philadelphia Marathon (eek!).  

Saturday evening, Day 27: I had said in the very beginning that I was giving myself one bye outfit when Drew's parents and sister were visiting us this weekend.  I imagined, however, that we'd be going out to dinner and I'd want to wear something new.  However, we ended up going out with Drew's dad to a sports bar and watching the Giants game, so I used my bye to wear a black turtleneck and Giants t-shirt that were not part of my 10 items.  I wore the same jeans as usual, though!  As a totally unrelated side note, it was the right call since the Giants won the game! 



Sunday, Day 28: Wore jeans, black v-neck sweater, gold necklace that Drew got for me in Germany and Dansko mary-jane clogs.



Monday, Day 29: Long-sleeved purple shirt, black pants, and a gold necklace I've had since I was a kid.  I think it might have actually been a hand-me-down from my mom, but I'm not sure. 





Tuesday, Day 30: Black mini-skirt, black v-neck sweater with gray t-shirt underneath.  Worn with black tights and black mary-jane heels.  No jewelry other than diamond earrings.  This was a new outfit though, so I'm glad I had one on the very last day! 



I have to tell you, I loved this challenge.  It really made me think about my (clothing) spending habits and I really don't need as much as I think I do.  It was fun to think up new combinations, although I frequently had to look back at this very blog to make sure that I wasn't wearing the same thing too close together!  It also really made me realize that with simple clothes, you can really dress them up or down with accessories and shoes.  And that no one really notices what you're wearing ... at least not as much as you think they are. 

I will also come clean and tell you that I did buying something during the course of the Challenge.  I bought new running shoes (which I actually didn't need, but they were on sale for $15 less than I normally pay, so it seemed wrong not to buy them at the time).  Tonight I also bought tights on my way home.  Which was good, because while I was walking around the store looking at tights, I noticed in one of the mirrors that my current (one) pair of plain black tights was now threadbare in the knees.  So, they went promptly in the trash when I got home. 

I think that I would 100% do this again.  It'd be fun to do in a different season, like summer perhaps?  Especially since I think there is a bigger disparity between my work and casual clothes in the summer.  I also did some window shopping while Drew's family was here and it really makes you think twice about buying something when you put it in the Challenge framework.  I think that's the biggest part that I'll take away from this ... would I really want to wear this item for 30 days straight? 

If any of you give this a shot, let me know!  I'd love to hear your thoughts! 

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe the Philly marathon is a month from tomorrow! It seems like April 1st was just here when I registered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the challenge! It really does make you realize how little we truly do *need* :)

    ReplyDelete