Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Out With The Dogs

Last night I went to pick up my bike from being shipped back from California. It was a tiny bit bittersweet for me since I won't be going out for any rides anytime in the near future. It was also ridiculously painful. I had a feeling that manipulating my bike into and out of the subway wouldn't be easy, but it was a lot worse that I expected.

I was almost reduced to tears after turning the turnstile with my left arm (you have to turn the turnstile even if you go through the special entrance door). Of course, after I did that, there was a cop on the platform and I figured I couldn't cry because I would look suspicious and then he'd want to search my bag and all I wanted to do was get home and rest my arm.

Riding the subway wasn't any easier either. Luckily, after two stops, I managed to snag a seat by myself, so I was able to sit down and rest my bike against my legs and I didn't have to really hold onto it anymore to prevent it from rolling around. Finally, I got home and collapsed on the couch. I did have a vague idea that maybe I would go to the gym once I got home, but my arm was just in too much pain to really consider it once I actually got home.

This morning I was the substitute watchdog for the Terrier brick. Even though I couldn't ride or run, it was still nice to see my teammates and feel as though I was still part of the team, even though I'll be taking a hiatus for a while. I chatted with the other watchdog (after last year's biting incident, they've instituted a two-person watchdog policy) and we talked about races, injuries and Radio Lab (you should really listen to the first 5 or so minutes of this podcast!). Not a bad way to start the morning, even if I did have to get up at 4:50 and didn't get a workout in.

I'll leave you with some fun doctor stuff. Here's the official report about my arm. I understand about 2% of this report:


And here's the actual MRI - I've circled the part that's the break. Apparently it's that line across the bone there:

No comments:

Post a Comment