Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

And I Swam

We spent last night in Westchester after having dinner at Blue Hill. Delicious cocktail, dinner, wine and desserts were on the menu, but after all that, sometimes you just need a good workout! I decided to brave the gym today with Drew. He said that he was going to do the Arc Trainer, lift some weights and do some swimming. I offered to come along and give him some pointers on the swimming part.

We did the thirty minutes on the Arc Trainer. I think that's Drew's favorite piece of gym equipment, but I don't think it's mine. It was definitely a good enough workout to get me nice and sweaty. Then we headed over to the boy area weight lifting room. I just wasn't in the mood to lift weights, so instead I flipped through the most recent Time Out New York while Drew did some lifting.

He was doing some leg lifting, but decided to cut it a bit short so that his legs wouldn't be too tired for the main event ... swimming! This was the first time I'd even been in the water since Alcatraz. It was a little bit bittersweet, especially since Drew has commandeered my swim cap, I was stuck using the one from Alcatraz!

We got into the pool, which was a bit cooler than I remembered, and Drew started swimming and I started aqua jogging? I gotta tell you, it makes you feel pretty ridiculous. Also, I never realized before how slippery the bottom of the pool is. I really felt like I should be wearing aqua socks.

So, in full disclosure, I did swim. One length of the pool. I just wanted to see how my arm was. It's not all the way back to normal yet (big surprise there, huh?). I also decided that even though I can swim, I don't think that I will swim. Mainly because I think my stroke is pretty decent right now and I don't want to mess that all up with doing a repetitive motion that is wrong. Plus, if anything is my strong suit, it's swimming. I'm the least worried about that.

I have to say that Drew does look a little bit better than he did before he took his one (and only) swim lesson. I think that if anything came out of it, he definitely realized that I might actually know what I'm talking about. Not that I think I'm the best person to coach him, but at least now if I give him some pointers, he might actually give them a bit more credibility than I think he was before.

I mainly occupied myself kicking and aqua jogging. It was nice to be back in the water, but just like this whole walking/running dilemma, it made me want to just be able to swim. Soon. Really really soon. I think.

Arc Trainer
Time: 30:00
Distance: 0.76 miles
Pace: 39:28/mile
Calories: 261
Maximum HR: 155
Average HR: 146

Swimming
Time: 30:21
Calories: 116
Maximum HR: 151
Average HR: 100

No comments:

Post a Comment