Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Are You Dropping Him Off At Daycare?

Friday morning I woke up feeling like a ton of bricks had been dropped on my arm. Instead, what happened is that I slept on my arm. I'd just like to say here that I haven't been sleeping all that great since I broke my arm. I'm a left side sleeper and when you can't sleep on your chosen side, it leads to a lot of tossing and turning in the night. Thursday night I decided to test the waters and see what would happen. The answer? Nothing good.

So, even though I woke up bright and early on Friday, I decided to forgo the walking and lounge around on the couch before work instead. I'm sure that was the right decision since it pretty much felt like I had just broken my arm and I actually had to stop a couple of times on the way to work and just breathe through it since even walking was so painful. Definitely the right decision not to go out power walking on Friday!

This morning, however, was a different story. My arm went back to "normal" and only hurts when I straighten it completely or lean on it. Drew was going to go to the Park class that his trainer, Billy, leads on Saturdays. I decided that I'd walk him to class and then go for a walk myself. We started walking and Drew quickly realized that he couldn't keep up with me!

Even though his legs are a little bit longer than mine, he said that it was really hard for him to walk that fast and he started jogging along side of me. I guess my walking is a better workout than I give it credit for sometimes. Anyway, I went to Drew to the meeting place for the class and waited for a few minutes for Billy to arrive. I wanted to know the best place to meet Drew after the class. One of the guys commented that it was sort-of like I was dropping Drew off at daycare while I went and did my own thing.

And after arranging to meet Drew where I'd left him, I went off on my walk. I knew I had about an hour to get my walk in, so I headed north to tackle the Harlem Hill. And tackle it I did. It actually felt easier walking than it does riding my bike. I'd say that it was because I was walking a lot slower than I normally ride my bike up the hill, but I'm actually not sure that was 100% true.

As I was heading back down the west side, I happened to pass another guy who was walking along. As I passed him, he said something to the effect that I had crushed him. I told him that he should start swinging his arms and pick up the pace! He told me that I had inspired him and he was going to try to stay with me. I told him that I had a broken arm, so he didn't have any excuse not to keep pace with me! He laughed and actually, he definitely did stay about two steps behind me for at least a mile.

Then I turned onto 72nd Street to head back up the east side. As I was walking along 72nd Street, all of these people wearing Bobby Police helmets and shirts were running along the transverse. And they just kept coming and coming. It felt like there were about 200 of them, although maybe it was more like 100. It was just so silly to see them. At first I thought they were wearing costumes, but it turns out that they were real British Police officers!

I then headed back to the meeting spot to wait for Drew. I walked around a bit and tried to find them, but I didn't have any success. I ended up waiting about 15 minutes for the group to come back. Drew and I were both really hungry and sweaty, so we stopped to get a Froz-Fruit on the way home. While we ate our Popsicles, we wandered home the long way and then Drew made us a delicious breakfast of eggs and toast!

The amazing thing is that I was really walking fast on my walk by myself today. I'm guessing that Drew wouldn't have been able to keep up with me just walking if he had tagged along with me. I really tried to keep my heart rate up as high as possible and make it the best workout that I possibly could. And, seriously, I never ran. I think I could tryout for the Olympic race-walk team!

Walk There
Time: 26:49
Distance: 2.20 miles
Pace: 12:11/mile
Calories: 262
Maximum HR: 186
Average HR: 156

Walk Upper Loop
Time: 59:55
Distance: 5.00 miles
Pace: 11:58/mile
Calories: 718
Maximum HR: 188
Average HR: 175

1 comment:

  1. You really could join a speed walking team! Have you passed any runners yet? When I first started running I would get passed by speedwalkers in the park...

    ReplyDelete