Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Out With The Dogs, Take 2

This morning I was the alternate watchdog for Terrier's weekly brick session. I didn't know if they'd need me or not, so I got up bright and early and headed to the Park. The nice thing? Drew tagged along too. He wanted to get in his very first brick ... ever!

At first, it was just me and another woman, Nancy. And then it ended up that there were three of us doing the watch-dogging. I had worn clothes in case I didn't have to be the alternate, and I probably could have left and gone for a walk since there ended up being three of us doing the watchdog duties, but since Drew was there, I felt obligated to stay and watch his bike since he's not part of the team and I wouldn't have wanted anyone to give him a hard time about it.

While Nancy, Tori and I were all chatting the morning away, another teammate of ours, Nick, came over to hang out for a bit. He had his arm in a sling and I asked him what had happened. Turns out he got into a bike crash and broke somewhere around 7 bones and got a concussion! The worst part is that he got into the accident by locking wheels with another Terrier while they were out doing a long ride. The good news is that he seems to be healing up pretty well so far, despite having to get some screws to hold his collarbone back in place.

I have to say that after talking to Nick and hearing all about his injury and how well he's coping with it, really made me think that this broken elbow isn't the end of the world. Nancy was telling us how she's also had to take a two-week break from training because of some back issues and I think both she and I were feeling pretty down in the dumps because of our injuries and then Nick came with his great attitude and put me to shame. I've been trying not to feel sorry for myself, but that doesn't work all of the time!

Even though it means getting up really early just to sit around, I don't mind this watchdogging business. I think Drew had a good workout, too, so in all, it was a fairly successful morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment