Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Resting, Weight Lifting & A Swim Meet

Well, I somehow managed to do it again ... take three whole days off from working out. Of course, once again, this was not my intention, it just happened. To be a little bit more fair to myself, Thursday was a planned rest day. Friday, I was too tired to wake up early enough to make it to the gym and Friday night we had things to do around the apartment. Saturday, we had stayed up too late Friday night and it was really cold out, so Drew and I skipped our planned run. We had our friends over for a holiday brunch on Saturday and since people ended up staying until after 5:00 (a sign of a good party, I hope!) we didn't make it to work out on Saturday either.

I'm not going to lie. I did feel really bad about missing these workouts. I know it's not imperative right now that I workout every single day, but I like it. It makes me feel better in general when I've got it done and over with for the day. But, I'm not going to wallow in this. I'm only going to try to do better in the future.

Sunday we slept in a little bit and then headed to the gym. I desperately needed to do some weight lifting in order to keep up with my 12-Week plan and I thought I should do some cardio too and try to burn off some of the homemade donuts I consumed on Saturday! Drew left for the gym before I did, so when I met him there, he was finishing up some cardio on the Arc Trainer, so I decided to just do a few minutes with him there as a warm-up. Then we headed to the weight room.

This was today's workout:

Barbell Squats: 1 set of 12 reps @ 65 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 95 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 115 lbs
Leg Press: 1 set of 12 reps @ 180 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 225 lbs / 1 set of 6 reps @ 270 lbs
Leg Extensions: 1 set of 12 reps @ 80 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 95 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 110 lbs
Calf Raises: 1 set of 20 reps @ 180 lbs / 1 set of 15 reps @ 225 lbs / 1 set of 12 reps @ 270 lbs

Holy cow, my legs are getting strong! I took last week's numbers and tried to start with the middle set as the first set today so that I could keep bumping up the weight. Drew was there to help spot me. I yelled at him on my last set of squats because I thought that he was touching the bar and making it heavier, but he said he wasn't doing anything. I'm not 100% convinced, but I also realize that it was probably mostly in my head. On the calf raises, I did ask him to help hold the weight up while I switched from pushing with my legs to getting my toes set-up (I used the leg press machine for my calf raises) and while I can hold 270 pounds with two legs, it's not quite as easy with one leg, while moving your other foot around.

Once we were done with the weight lifting, I said that I wanted to ride spin bikes. When we walked over to the computerized spin bikes, they were being used, so I suggested that we ride in the spin classroom since there wasn't a class scheduled for Sunday. I wasn't thrilled with the fact that I wouldn't know my mileage, but I've decided just to guess based on past performances on the (computerized) spin bike).

I gotta tell you, after lifting legs, there isn't really anything that my legs want to do other than turn to jelly. Needless to say, biking wasn't fun. I was ready to quit after 5 minutes. After about 10 minutes, I said to Drew that I was done. Of course, I hung in there. Part of my problem was that I didn't think to wear biking/tri shorts and sitting on the spin bike seat in just some running shorts was not fun! Mental note to never make that mistake again! When I'm on the computerized spin bike, it will often tell you to feel free to get up out of the saddle for "saddle relief". I definitely had to do that today.

After riding for 10 minutes, I decided that I would spend the next song on my iPod out of the saddle for a change of pace. That went so well that I decided to do it a second time after 20 minutes of riding. The second time I just happened to be listening to "Don't Fight The Moonlight" by LeAnn Rimes (go ahead and hate on my music all you want, but Drew had recently asked for some country music and this was on the playlist!). The really good thing about that song for the spin bike is that the chorus is faster than the rest of the song, so I did some really fast sprints during that part and recovered a little bit during the rest of verses. All in all, I actually really ended up liking the workout. I definitely like it more when I know my mileage, but I liked jamming along with my silly tunes.

After we were done with the biking, we headed over for some stretching and Drew suggested doing some throw-downs. I was thinking that maybe we'd get to fight, but it really wasn't that much fun. Instead it was an ab exercise we've done before. The throw down part happens when Drew throws my legs back down once I've raised them up. The first set we did 15 and the second set 25. I think at that point Drew was done with them, but I said we had to do 20 more for an even 60. He said that 60 seemed like a random number, but I had been thinking of doing my normal 60 crunches, so it didn't seem quite so random to me.

After all the stretching and ab work, we headed home for some breakfast. I had some brunch left-overs of eggs and potatoes and Drew had his normal smoothie. I putzed around a little bit (mostly watching TV) and finally had to get ready for my big Terrier Swim Meet!

I had signed up for two events - the 50 M free and the 50 M backstroke. I only really entered the backstroke to see if I could have a chance at winning something. The other day they posted the events and the heats and there were supposed to only be two of us competing in backstroke, so I thought I had a fairly good chance of winning!

When we got to the pool (Drew came along with me to cheer), I hopped in and did a couple warm-up laps and practiced diving off the blocks. I had to tighten up my goggles, so I was glad I practiced. The 50 meter free was the second event, so I didn't have to wait around long. I ended up doing the 50 meter free in 35.97 seconds. I don't really know if that's good or bad in the scheme of things, but it was definitely not good enough to win (winner finished in 28.72).

The 50 meter backstroke was the 10th event and it turned out that someone else entered the competition, so there were three of us. I thought maybe I'd have an okay chance and was talking about it with another teammate before the race. And then we were in the water and I was off:




So, the funny thing about these photos is that it looks like I was just kicking on my back and didn't ever take a stroke. Maybe that's why I came in third place (out of three, which basically means I lost)? Either way, I finished in 42.37 seconds. Again, not sure how that stacks up in the world of swimming. When I got out of the water, our head coach (Robert) came up to me and said that even though I lost, I did a fantastic job, so that was nice. And then the teammate that I had been talking to before the race came up and said that normally I would have had a 50/50 chance of winning, but I was going against one of the fastest swimmers on the team. Oh well. It was still a fantastically fun time and it was nice to have a fun event and not really have to practice.

Weight Lifting
Time: 44:58
Calories: 328
Maximum HR: 165
Average HR: 128

Spin Bike
Time: 30:00
Distance: ~10.00 miles
Pace: ~20 MPH (average)
Calories: 355
Maximum HR: 184
Average HR: 168

50 Meter Freestyle
Time: 35.97 seconds
Distance: 50 meters
Calories: 10
Maximum HR: 184
Average HR: 150

50 Meter Backstroke
Time: 42.37 seconds
Distance: 50 meters
Calories: 13
Maximum HR: 179
Average HR: 164

No comments:

Post a Comment