Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Must Have Shoes...

This morning the alarm went off and Drew got up and I didn't. I did, however, pack a bag so that I could go to the gym after work today. Which is what I did. And if you think that this post sounds exactly like yesterday's post, that was mostly my plan. Except that when I got to the gym, I realized that I had packed everything, except for my shoes! I was planning on doing weight lifting and cardio today and briefly thought about doing the weight lifting in my work flats, but decided that it would be utterly ridiculous and I couldn't bring myself to do it.

So, I headed home with a thought in my head that I would do some of the Exercise On-Demand workouts and be happy with that. It might not be quite the same, but it would definitely be some variety in my workout routine, which can never be a bad thing. I got home, changed into my gym clothes, and sat down on the couch in order to choose what workouts I would do. They had two Biggest Loser options - one with Bob and one with Jillian. I decided to check out the first one on the list, which happened to be the one with Bob.

I'm guessing that this was a segment of a longer exercise video, but this was called Biggest Loser Cardio Max. It definitely started right away without much warm-up. I thought that it was okay overall. There was really only one tough part that involved holding plank position for about 2 minutes (okay, maybe it really wasn't quite that long, but it really felt like it, and it was definitely over a minute). Most of the people on the video had small weights in their hands to increase the resistance, but I didn't really feel like taking the time to find mine, so I just did it without them.

After the first video, I thought that 20 minutes really wasn't enough of a workout, so I decided to do another one. I thought about doing the Jillian one, but then thought that I'd mix it up and try something different. The next video I chose was Cardio Groove and Burn. This one was trickier because you were really supposed to be learning dance steps while doing cardio. I am not a dancer. Never have been, never will be. So, when they did some serious salsa steps, I mostly ran back and forth across the living room floor while turning my hips back and forth. I'm not sure I learned any dance moves, but I did roll my hips a lot!

I should mention that while I was doing all of these videos, Drew was sitting on the couch doing some stuff on his laptop. Even though he claimed that he wasn't watching me, once in a while, I'd hear a giggle from the peanut gallery behind me, but he mostly kept his comments to himself. I did feel especially silly when the girl from Cardio Groove & Burn told us to get sassy and insert our own style into the dance. I'm not sure I have said style on the dance floor, I just tried to do what they were doing as best as I could.

I don't know that this ended up being the best workout that I could have had today, but it was 100% better than giving up after I found I didn't have my shoes at the gym. I think that's all any of us can ask for ... to not give up!

Biggest Loser Cardio Max
Time: 20:27
Calories: 193
Maximum HR: 163
Average HR: 147

Cardio Groove and Burn
Time: 30:05
Calories: 266
Maximum HR: 163
Average HR: 141

No comments:

Post a Comment