Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Super Sets Are Hard To Do

Last night Drew was at the World Series game, so he didn't get home until pretty late. That meant that he didn't feel like getting up this morning to head to the gym and I wasn't too sad to keep sleeping either. Which meant a visit to the gym after work for me! I packed a bag so that I could go straight from work without going home after work to change. It seems like I would be much less likely to talk myself out of going if I did that.

I'm pretty sure I've griped about how busy the gym is after work, but today seemed even worse than usual. I needed to do my third weight lifting workout of Week 5, which is still Super Sets. One look around the weight room told me that Super Sets weren't really going to be possible tonight, which means that not only are they normally hard to do, they were impossible to do tonight.

So, this is what the workout was supposed to look like:

A) Leg Curls: 1 set of 12 reps @ 50 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 50 lbs / 1 set of 6 reps @ 50 lbs
B) Leg Press: 1 set of 15 reps @ 115 lbs / 2 sets of 10 reps @ 115 lbs
*****
A) Dumbbell Pullovers: 1 set of 20 reps @ 20 lbs / 1 set of 15 reps @ 20 lbs / 1 set of 12 reps @ 20 lbs
B) Lat Pulldown: 2 sets of 12 reps @ 60 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 70 lbs
*****
A) Dumbbell Squats: 3 sets of 12 reps @ 25 lbs (per arm)
B) Leg Extensions: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 60 lbs
*****
A) Crunches: 3 sets of 20 reps
B) Ab Bench Crunches: 1 set of 20 reps / 2 sets of 15 reps

What I did instead of Super Sets was I did all of the Leg Curls, etc. in a row, resting only 20 seconds between sets. I figured that 20 seconds was pretty close to the time it would have taken me to walk from one machine to the other anyway and it definitely wasn't really enough recovery time. The only set that I was able to do properly was the Squats and Leg Extensions. Except for the fact that the Squats were supposed to be Barbell Squats instead of Dumbbell, but Drew still hasn't had a chance to show me exactly how to use all that equipment, so I still think that what I did was more than okay as a substitute.

After my weight lifting, I ate half of a Luna bar to get a little protein in and have a bit of a snack to tide me over for the rest of my workout. I then hit the cardio equipment. I figured I'd read my magazine and do the elliptical machine. There was not a lot of choice in elliptical machines, so I used one that I've used before but it isn't really my favorite.

I quickly realized why it's not my favorite. It's because that even though I was doing a pretty hard hill level and I was going at a really decent stride pace, I wasn't going anywhere. A while ago, I used the same machine and had the same results. It doesn't make any sense why on some elliptical machines I can average somewhere around a 10 minute mile and on this machine, I average about a 30 minute mile. I know that this might be silly of me, but I'm going to go ahead and stop using this machine unless absolutely necessary.

Weight Lifting
Time: 36:05
Calories: 239
Maximum HR: 161
Average HR: 121

Elliptical
Time: 35:00
Distance: 1.15 miles
Pace: 30:26/mile
Calories: 326
Maximum HR: 161
Average HR: 144

No comments:

Post a Comment