Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

I'm Not Sure I Can Go Swimming

This morning Drew and I got up early and headed over to our regular gym. I was only going to do my weight lifting as I plan on going swimming later on today, but he was going to lift and do cardio. We did a quick warm-up of walking on the treadmill and then headed over to the weight room. Drew said that he'd weight lift with me again today, so that was a nice treat.

Today was Super Sets again, focusing on Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. As soon as I looked at the workout, I knew I was in for trouble. Especially since my abs and legs are sore from yesterday, I wasn't looking forward to the same thing in my arms too! This was today's workout:

A) Dumbbell Flys: 3 sets of 15 reps @ 10 lbs (per arm)
B) Dumbbell Bench Press: 2 sets of 15 reps @ 15 lbs (per arm) / 1 set of 10 reps @ 15 lbs
*****
A) Barbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps @ 45 lbs
B) Tricep Pushdowns: 1 set of 15 reps @ 30 lbs / 2 sets of 12 reps @ 30 lbs
*****
A) Barbell Shoulder Press: 1 set of 10 reps @ 35 lbs / 2 sets of 8 reps @ 35 lbs
B) Side Lateral Raises: 1 set of 12 reps @ 5 lbs (per arm) / 1 set of 10 reps @ 5 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 5 lbs

I don't think it's fair that you would have to do two types of bench presses in the same day. By the end of the first Super Set, my arms were already exhausted. I wasn't sure how I was going to continue on. Then, by the time I was done with the second set and setting up for the third, my triceps were burning, and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. Drew tried to tell me that it was a good thing, but I wasn't 100% convinced.

It was right around that time that I had to stop weight lifting between sets and try to practice my swim stroke. When my arms were burning like that, I wasn't really sure that I could actually swim later on. Once I had done three practice strokes and realized that my arms were in fact still capable of movement, I felt a little bit better.

All morning long, my abs have been killing me from yesterday's workout. I had actually thought that maybe I could do some today since there weren't any included in today's workout in the book, but since it hurts to laugh, I didn't really think it was going to be likely. Drew told me that he had the same thought (of doing some crunches himself) and that he did four before he was done for the day. That made me feel a lot better for skipping them all together.

I am planning on going swimming later, which I'm looking forward to. I didn't go last week as I wasn't sure that there would even be swimming practice because of the NYC marathon and the week before that was a shorter practice, so hopefully today's will be more on track!

Weight Lifting
Time: 31:46
Calories: 169
Maximum HR: 150
Average HR: 111

No comments:

Post a Comment