Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just The Regular Gymnasium

This morning Laura and I had been planning on going to check out a new and really fancy gymnasium, but things didn't go quite as planned, so I ended up just going to the regular gymnasium with Drew. Today I had my second set of Drop Set weight lifting to do and Drew wanted to ride spin bikes, so that was my plan for the day.

This was the weight lifting:

Dumbbell Rows (Right Arm): 1 set of 10 reps @ 25 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 20 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 15 lbs
Dumbbell Rows (Left Arm): 1 set of 10 reps @ 25 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 20 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 15 lbs
Lat Pulldown (Triangle Bar): 1 set of 10 reps @ 70 lbs/ 1 set of 10 reps @ 50 lbs / 1 set of 15 reps @ 30 lbs
Barbell Bench Press: 1 set of 12 reps @ 45 lbs / 1 set of 12 reps @ 35 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 30 lbs
Dumbbell Pullovers: 1 set of 10 reps @ 30 lbs / 1 set of 10 reps @ 25 lbs / 1 set of 8 reps @ 20 lbs
Dumbbell Curls: 1 set of 10 reps @ 20 lbs (per arm) / 1 set of 10 reps @ 15 lbs (per arm) / 1 set of 10 reps @ 10 lbs (per arm)

This Drop Set thing sure is tricky. I really tried to lift heavy on the first set so that I could then decrease to something more reasonable for the second set. I would say that I was definitely struggling on most of the second sets. It's weird because your muscles think "Oh wow! This is so light," but after doing a couple of reps, you realize that it's still a decent amount of weight that you're lifting with zero rest between sets.

On the lat pulldowns, the third set was definitely too light. I probably should have been lifting 40 pounds instead of 30, but I think that there is a bit of a learning curve here and I'm doing my best. On the flip side, 30 pounds is the most I've lifted for the dumbbell pullovers. It was not easy, but I did it. The part that I actually really didn't like was the fact that once you get to 30 pounds, the dumbbells at the gym change sizes, and I didn't like holding onto the bigger dumbbell for that exercise. On the dumbbell curls, 20 lbs per arm was the most I've ever lifted and it was really challenging. I started out doing the curls at the same time, but I ended up having to stagger that set so I would just do right arm-left arm, etc.

I was really happy that there were no crunches in today's workout! After the weight lifting was done, Drew and I hit the spin bikes. We both used the computerized spin bikes, but Drew told me that he really just wanted to read his book and not be in and out of the saddle all the time, so I said that we should do the endurance program as that's mostly seated flats with just one or two standing flats thrown into the mix. I think he set his for about 30 minutes, but I set mine for 55-60. When I said endurance, I meant endurance.

Except that after 30 minutes, I wanted to get off the bike too! Oof. It was hard riding a bike for an hour. But, I hung in there and didn't give up. And I felt much better about completing my ride at the end and not giving up on myself or my workout. The best part about getting off the bike was seeing that my average cadence was 86, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Weight Lifting
Time: 27:44
Calories: 181
Maximum HR: 145
Average HR: 119

Spin Bike
Time: 57:45
Distance: 21.70 miles
Pace: 22.55 MPH (average)
Calories: 545
Maximum HR: 162
Average HR: 144

No comments:

Post a Comment