Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Same Workout, Different Venue

Last night I set my alarm to get up and go to the Terrier run this morning. Except Drew worked really late last night (I actually don't even know when he got home, but it was definitely today). I woke up when he got home and talked to him for a bit and then he passed out in about 10 minutes flat and I was still awake. I tossed and turned for a while. And then when it was time to wake up at 5:30, it was a rainy disaster outside. So, I decided to skip the Terrier workout. Which is probably lame given the fact that most of my races seem to be in the rain, but I hate rain. Hate it.

So, instead, I packed a bag so that I could hit the gym after work since it was supposed to be raining all day (and I think it actually did). When I left work today I was stuffed full from lunch and my afternoon snack. I hurried to the gym and when I was standing on the treadmill 32 minutes later, my stomach was rumbling really loudly. I figured that wasn't a good sign and I was glad that today's workout was going to be pretty quick (and speedy).

I had written down the Terrier workout today, so this was what we were supposed to do (after doing a warm-up jog):

220 yards (0.125 miles) / Recover 1:00
440 yards (0.25 miles) / Recover 1:30
660 yards (0.375 miles) / Recover 1:30
880 yards (0.50 miles) / Recover 2:00
880 yards (0.50 miles) / Recover 2:00
660 yards (0.375 miles ) / Recover 1:30
440 yards (0.25 miles) / Recover 1:30
220 yards (0.125 miles) Recover 1:00

My actual workout was modified slightly. I did 1.75 miles as a warm-up and then got into the workout. I did all the running at 7.1 speed (8:27/mile pace) and walked at 4.0 as a recovery. I didn't feel bad about walking because I knew if I was at the actual workout, I would have just stood still instead of even walking. I had to modify the actual workout slightly since the treadmills at my gym only go to the hundredths instead of thousandths, so I did 0.38 and 0.37 instead of 0.375. In all, the total distance was still 2.50 miles.

It was definitely not easy to do the 0.50 segments at the faster pace, but I tried to distract myself as much as I could and not watch the clock tick the seconds by. After I finished the running, I did a quick cool-down and then did some stretching. As I was stretching, I found myself spacing out and realized that I should get home and eat something. When I got into the elevator in my building, I realized that I was starving and was about ready to gnaw my arm off. I quickly got into my apartment and had a big glass of chocolate soy milk and then worried about the rest of dinner. Of course, as I type this now, an hour and a half later, I'm still hungry! Must be time for a snack and then bed. I'm supposed to meet Laura for a wetsuit swim tomorrow morning.

Time: 49:07
Distance: 4.92 miles
Pace: 9:58/mile
Calories: 551
Maximum HR: 183
Average HR: 169

No comments:

Post a Comment