Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

5 Of Each, Please

Last night I forced myself to go upstairs to bed around 9:30. I stayed up reading for about 45 minutes, but I didn't stay up late, so that was a good start. When I woke up at 3:46 this morning, I knew that there was no way that I'd be skipping the Terrier run today. I fell back asleep and got out of bed around 5:20 in order to eat and get dressed and be on my way.

I looked at my phone and it said that it was 47 degrees outside. I decided to wear capris, long sleeved shirt and windbreaker along with my baseball running hat. I also stuck my gloves in my pockets just in case. Turns out that when I got outside, it was really more like 37 and I think it warmed up to about 42 by the time I left the park. I'm pretty sure the problem was that I didn't let my phone's weather update from the last time I looked (last night), although I did think that 47 was pretty warm for before 6 AM. It all worked out fine as I was dressed just perfectly.

The plan for today was supposed to be 3 miles / 2 x [2:00, 3:00, 4:00] AI, 2 miles, which I have to say worked out about perfectly to what I actually ended up doing. A lot of my teammates and almost all the coaches are down in Florida right now for the Spring Training Camp, so when I got there this morning we had no coach. Luckily some people had looked at the website and knew the workout, so we got started on our normal strides. We did 6 strides, 2 high knee, 2 butt kick and 2 crossover drills (0.40 miles).

While we were doing our strides, a guy that I had never seen before showed up and was standing there watching us. After we were done, he said that he was there to give us our workout and we should run over to the "S" (start) and then he'd give us the rest of the instructions. Turns out that this guy's name is Gerard and when we all arrived over at the S, he told us that we were supposed to be doing sets of 200s and 400s. The Sprint/Olympic group should do 5 of each and the Half-Ironman group should do 8. We were supposed to run hard there and then do a recovery jog back to the start.

I debated about whether or not to do 5 or 8 of each. I decided on 5. That might have been the wimpy way out, but my legs were still pretty tired from this past weekend and I reasoned that I'm not officially training for my half-Ironman yet, so doing the shorter workout should be okay. The workout itself was fine and really tied into my actual workout pretty well of doing intervals, since essentially that's what I was doing. I don't really have anything exciting to report other than I ran back and forth 10 times!

All the mileage ended up being 7.20 miles with the strides (which I didn't time), so I think in all, it was a good idea to do the shorter workout. Even without the strides, it was still 6.80 miles, which would have still been okay according to the plan, I think. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do about the rest of this week. I'm thinking that I'll stick to the plan on Thursday, but maybe cut the long run a bit shorter this weekend. 9-10 miles the week before the race sounds like an awful lot, so maybe 7-8 is more realistic. It's also supposed to be raining this weekend, so if I'm going to have to run indoors, I'm not sure if I can take anything too long after having been outside so much recently!

Run To Meeting Point
Time: 12:59
Distance: 1.30 miles
Pace: 9:59/mile
Calories: 151
Maximum HR: 180
Average HR: 168

Run To S
Time: 10:45
Distance: 1.25 miles
Pace: 8:35/mile
Calories: 146
Maximum HR: 189
Average HR: 181

5 x 220
Time: 12:54
Distance: 1.25 miles
Pace: 10:19/mile
Calories: 171
Maximum HR: 187
Average HR: 178

5 x 440
Time: 24:57
Distance: 2.50 miles
Pace: 9:58/mile
Calories: 328
Maximum HR: 186
Average HR: 178

Run Home
Time: 5:30
Distance: 0.50 miles
Pace: 11:00/mile
Calories: 60
Maximum HR: 173
Average HR: 165

No comments:

Post a Comment