Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Message Received

First, a little background. I bought myself new running shoes over a month ago. I've used them once since then, just before the NYC Triathlon. It didn't go all that well. I kept having issues with my orthotics sliding around and the laces being too tight. Based on that, I decided to just keep wearing my old shoes. I wore them for the Triathlon and I've been wearing them since then.

Today was the day where the old shoes decided to send me a message. The message? Retire us! Now! Drew and I went to the Park together this morning (he had a plan of running 4 miles around the Park and to the gym and then doing some lifting) and I was heading to the Terrier run. We parted ways at the bottom of the Park and I headed up the West side while he went East. I'm still not really sure why we didn't run together, but I'm assuming that Drew wanted to just run at his own pace instead my slow pace.

I knew almost instantly that my shins were not going to be happy with me today. I ran the few minutes up to the meeting spot for practice and already my shins were hurting. Mostly my left one. It was actually feeling okay while we did the strides and drills like normal, but I wasn't sure it was the best idea to attempt the entire workout today.

The planned workout was a 5 mile tempo run. Which sounded a bit like torture with old shoes and an aching shin. I decided to nix that idea and do a three mile run, including running home. I thought that seemed like quite enough. The temperature was actually bearable this morning, which was a nice change and made me wish I had been wearing my new shoes as it would have been nice to run for a longer time.

Those shoes have now done their duty and will be retired properly. Time to get out the new shoes. It's one of those things where I've just been avoiding fussing over getting the speed laces just right. I sort-of feel like Goldilocks with those speed laces. I wish there was a way to make them perfect on the first try. Instead, right now, they're too tight on my foot, but if they're not that tight the orthotics were slipping all around. But, now that I know I'm stuck wearing these new shoes, I'll be forced to get it right.

I haven't really been timing myself while running recently. Or looking at my heart rate or calories or any of that other fancy data. What I do know is that I started running somewhere around 6:25 and I got home just before 7:00, so doing the math, it seems like it was 3 miles in about 30:00 minutes. Sounds like a good day to me.

Running
Time: ~30:00
Distance: 3.00 miles
Pace: 10:00/mile

No comments:

Post a Comment